Pages

February 22, 2011

A Death In The Family........The Feline Kind

Our cat, Mina, became very ill Sunday. Actually, I'm pretty sure it started Saturday, but she stayed in the basement all day and I was busy with the teenager's birthday party, so I didn't see her. But Sunday morning I went down to check on her because her food was untouched and sure enough, she was in the very same place she had been on Saturday morning. Poor thing went down hill very fast. Sunday morning I brought her upstairs, made her comfortable and just watched her. She slept all day. Sunday night she got up, went downstairs to use the litter box, came back up and promptly fell back to sleep. About an hour later the teenager is screaming for me to help Mina. I walked in on my cat having a seizure. It was painful to watch. :( I picked her up, wrapped her in a towel and that's when I noticed the blood. She was bleeding from her girly parts and her nose. By this time it was late and our vet wasn't open. I decided to put her in the kennel with lots of towels and blankets and let her rest there. Monday morning I took her to the vet's office and she purred the entire time. The vet took x-rays and sure enough.....Cancer. It was everywhere. She suspected that it had spread to the brain even though she couldn't see it on the x-ray, mainly because of the seizures and nose bleeds. It was time to let her go. She was ready, very ready....I, on the other hand, was not. I've had this cat for 12 years, I got her from a friend who asked me to keep her for 3 months while she got settled in California. She never came and got her, so I kept her. She became family. The vet gave me some time with her and I told her that she was the best cat in the entire world and we would miss her terribly. I kissed her, told her I loved her and then asked the vet to begin. Mina purred the entire time. Her last breath was a purr. It was peaceful and quick and most importantly, she was no longer in pain. I plan on having her cremated. I want her with us forever. Crazy, right? LOL!! I don't care. She deserves it. :) One more picture of my beautiful Mina......

2 thoughts:

Carlie said...

Oh! Am so sorry Nina! What a beautiful kitty she was. I am starting to get the longing for a family pet or two.

* The MOM said...

Thanks, Carlie. She was great and will be missed. :) Having pets is wonderful, but they don't live long enough. :(