Pages

September 28, 2009

If It's In A Box, Is It Still Considered "Homemade"?

I'm a little fuzzy on this, cause when I was growing up my Grandmother made everything "homemade" or from scratch, no boxes. But nowadays when I bake brownies or cookies from a bag or box everyone always says..."I LOOOOOVE homemade cookies/brownies!!!", but are they really homemade? I mean, really, come on! No, they are not! Homemade is made from scratch, right? Or maybe not. Maybe it's just made "at home" and therefore considered "homemade". I'm no professional baker/chef, but I do like to cook and bake....A LOT!! When I make pancakes I use Bisquick, that stuff is soooo good!! I have tried making my own pancakes from scratch but they don't taste as good. I've tried adding vanilla, buckwheat and all sorts of things, but I can't get them as good as Bisquick, so now I just use that and add all the other stuff to it. The kids LOVE my pancakes. It's also good for making fried chicken. YUMM!! I make cakes, bread, cookies, pasta sauce and pasta from scratch.......sometimes, it all depends on how much time I have. In the Winter all I do is cook. It's amazing I don't weigh 300+ pounds!!! HAH!

So I cook, a lot, and some of it is from scratch and some of it is from the box/bag but in the end what is important is that I do cook for my family. I try to make healthy foods, I sneak in veggies where ever I can, I use mostly fresh veggies and fruits that I buy from our local farmer's market and I buy organic when I can. I'm no Betty Crocker, but by golly I sure do try!!!!!!! :D

0 thoughts: