Pages

February 15, 2010

14 Years Ago Today At 2:32 A.M.........

I became a Mother for the very first time. I remember it like it was yesterday. I went into labor on Valentine's day and I had promised my friend and my sister that I would run a bunch of errands for both of them since they were working. What I remember most was my friend's husband saying to me....."Now Nina, you know that today is a good day to go into labor, right? Don't do that!" :D I took off bright and early, despite the cramps I was having every 15-20 minutes. Did I mention that there was a snow storm going on that day? No? Well there was!! I had to go the the grocery store for my sister, pay some bills for my friend and then I had to get all the kids off the bus or at school since they decided it should be a half day because of the snow. I got Diamond and Pearl (yes, that's their names!) first, then went as fast as the snow would allow me to my sister's house so I could be there when the bus dropped Bekah off. I remember pulling up right as the bus was about to pull away, I ran to the doors to reassure the bus driver that I was Bekah's Aunt and the bus driver said...."Hey, you know today's a good day to have a baby don'tcha'?"..... "So I've heard!!" I replied. -_- As I carried Bekah to the car I had a really bad contraction. So bad that I had to stop and breath. That's when I knew I was in labor for real. It was 11:45 a.m.! I went about my day all the while stopping to breath and think about what was happening. I was going to be a Mommy soon!! I wasn't at all terrified, really. I was just calm. There was nothing I could do to stop it, so I was just going with the flow.

My friend was having a "Single's Valentine's Day Party" at her house, and seeing as I was single and all I went! I showed up there trying not to let on that I was in pain so people would just have a good time and not worry about me. We talked, laughed, I almost peed my pants, I ate a whole box of Apple Jacks (sooooo good!!!), then we talked about life in general, we laughed some more and the entire time I was trying not to let anyone know that my contractions were less than 10 minutes apart. A very good friend of mine who is the Father of 4 beautiful little girls did notice that I was in pain and pulled me aside to ask me hoow close I was. I just laughed and said....."Hahahaa.....it's not that bad! Their about 8-10 minutes apart but I can manage!" He just looked at me and said...."First of all, good for you. But you do know that you should go in because this is your first and you're contracting less than 10 minutes apart, right?" I refused to listen and we all sat there and timed my contractions for about an hour. The excitement was beautiful!! My baby was coming!

About 9 p.m. I thought that it was time to call into work and tell them that I wasn't coming in and it was also time to call my doctor. I started really contracting at 11:45 a.m. and finally got to the hospital at 9:45 p.m.! When I checked in they couldn't believe I had been in labor all day and didn't call. They got me all settled in, checked me and I was 6 cm dilated!! At the time I had no idea what they were talking about and didn't want to know either! My doctor came in at 11 p.m. to talk to me about pain relief and told me my options. I had already made up my mind to do it
the the "old fashion way"! He smiled and left.

For the next few hours my sister sat by my side and coached me through the worst pain I had ever felt in my entire life! At 12:30 a.m. she left to get some food and something to drink. While she was gone I projectile vomited all over the curtains! Boy was she glad she missed that! My nurse, on the other hand, saw the whole thing and had to clean it up. She hated me after that. HAH! About 30 minutes is when the real fun started! I remember looking at my sister during a very long, painful contraction and saying...."I can't do it anymore. I'm dying!" and I promptly passed out for a blissful minute until the next contraction hit. My sister asked the nurse to check me at 1:45 because she thought I was really close, but when she checked me I was only 8.5 cm and not ready. At that point I felt it as time to "take myself away", forget what was going on and just breath. At 2:15 I had the worst contraction ever and I felt my pelvis bone separate. Talk about painful!! That's when I felt the urge to push. I looked at my sister and said..."It's time. Raven is coming! I HAVE TO PUSH!!!!!!!!!". She ran out of the room to get the nurse, they came back in and the nurse had the balls to say....."I just checked her. There is no way she has to push already!" First of all, birthing a child has no rules. You can't follow a birth plan or any other kind of plan. IT JUST HAPPENS! My sister looked at her and said...."You should call her doctor if you're not up to checking. We don't want to bother you! Oh wait! This is your JOB, isn't it?! CHECK HER!! SHE'S PUSHING!!" The nurse actually rolled her eyes as she put her gloves on. Imagine the look on her face when she went to check me and couldn't get past my baby's head. She said...."Nina, you need to NOT push. Breath!" I looked at her with my huge brown eyes and said...." I don't know HOW to NOT push!!!!!!!!" then I grabbed her coat and ripped it. HAH! At that point she became sympathetic and said....."This will be hard, but pant like a dog!!! 2 minutes and the doctor will be here!!" There was no way I was not going to push. A friend of mine lost her son in the birth canal because they told her to not push, wait on the doctor. But I panted through a few, then pushed once just because I wanted a doctor present to deliver my baby. Finally my doctor ran in with about 5 other doctors, because I had maconium in my water, he didn't even bother to put on scrubs, he just dove right in! He looked at me and said......"You ready? You're baby's head is right there, let it out. Just push when you need to!" One push and her arm and head came out. Everyone just giggled and gasped at the sight before them. There was my baby, eyes wide open and looking around!! Second push and out came her whole body! I got to hold her for about a second and in that second we locked eyes, then they whisked her away to clear her lungs.

While I was being stitched up and trying to see what was going on over at the baby table my sister looked at me and said....."Don't worry, I'll see what's going on. " I tried to sit up to see but my doctor insisted I relax while I had the chance. Then all of a sudden all the doctors and nurses caring for my baby started laughing and gasping! I just KNEW something was wrong! But no, my sister came over all smiles and said......"Of course your daughter is over there smiling! She's smiling, Nina!!!" No one could believe it, except me. I knew she was perfection. And I knew she was happiness. So her smiling didn't surprise me one bit. When the nurse handed her to me for the first time I looked at her and sure enough, she smiled. :)

I regret not having a camera then, I wish I had one to take pictures of "the smiling baby" just to prove it all. To this day that is what she is remembered as....."the smiling baby". It didn't stop there. My baby was rolling at 2 weeks, sitting up at 4 months, cruising at 5 months and full on walking alone at 7 months. She is amazing and I love her so!!! And to this very day I still wake up around 2:32 a.m., which is when she was born and even when she's 20 something I will still wake up every February 15th at 2:32 a.m.!!! I am so very proud to say...."That's my daughter!!!"



5 thoughts:

Heather said...

I had to read this because you look way too good to have been a mom 14 years. I feel like every mom year ages me about 3 years...
I love this story. It's so true - especially the part about the birthing plan. They are great to make and think over, but when that baby is coming fast all you can do is react and make good decisions in the moment. I waited a long time to go the hospital with my 1st, too. The staff never believes how close you are, since so many women are the opposite and come at the first twinge. Beautiful kids!
Heather (breastfeedtruth)

* The MOM said...

Thank you! I was only 21 when I had her. Still very young. Glad you like my story. I'll never forget the birth of any of my children. It really does feel like yesterday. :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :D

Moooooog35 said...

I'll never forget the birth of my children either.

On a related note, if you know anyone who has the power to eliminate the images of afterbirth and/or my cutting the cords, I'd appreciate you forwarding their names to me.

Thanks in advance.

* The MOM said...

HAHAHAAAAA!!! I think Kevin feels the same way. I'll look into brain wiping and keep you posted.

Amber said...

Oh Nina! I can't believe she's 14. Every year she just looks more and more like you and oh so beautiful. Loved reading your story.